Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lent Is Just Around the Corner

Ash Wednesday, February 17, marks the beginning of the season of Lent. Traditionally, Catholics have been encouraged to mark the season by making some kind of sacrifice, by "giving up" something such as sweets or sodas.

At the monastery we perform a 'Bona Opera'(good work). Each sister is asked to choose a book for spiritual reading, and to include prayer, fasting and almsgiving as part of her Lenten practice. It's a wonderful reminder to stay focused on Jesus as He anticipates His Passion and to enter more fully and intentionally into the solemnity of Lent.

We pray often in the monastery; the Bona Opera invites us to be more deliberate, more aware of the kinds of prayer we choose, the reasons we pray, the causes for which we pray.

It was eye-opening for me to think of fasting with regard to something other than food. To fast from criticism, complaining, or selfishness allows me to recognize God's goodness and grace as reflected in those with whom I live or work.

Almsgiving has also taken on new dimension. I can give of my time or talents as well as of my treasure. Rather than tossing a dollar or two in a collection plate, I mindfully give of my time or use my gifts to serve those in need.

Jesus did a great work for each of us by offering us salvation. Lent gives us a chance to do a good work for Jesus, reflecting our gratitude for His love and sacrifice.