Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy Feast of St. Scholastica

Today we celebrate the Feast of St. Scholastica.  It is a big day in a Benedictine monastery, especially a women's monastery.  Scholastica was the twin sister of our founder, St. Benedict of Nursia.  


 Our morning prayer was absolutely beautiful this as we sang the antiphons that tell the  story of Benedict and Scholastica and their deep love for God and for one another.  


Scholastica lived in a monastery in close proximity to Benedict's monastery.  St. Gregory tells a wonderful story about Benedict and Scholastica.  Since they were not able to enter each other's monastery, it is said that they met each year at another place to share spiritual conversation.  One of these times they were having a wonderful conversation when night began to fall.  Scholastica didn't want her brother to leave and asked him to stay longer.  Benedict could not believe that she would ask such a thing and told her so.  Scholastica, saddened by his response, cried openly.  She put her head on the table and prayed that God would hear her prayer.  As she did so, a storm began that made it impossible for Benedict to leave.  When Benedict asked her why she had done such a thing, she responded, "From you I asked a favor and you refused to hear me; so I have asked my Lord and He has heard me."  


I love this story because it reminds me of how God intercedes when God sees our need.  Scholastica knew that God would her her prayer.  I ask God to give all of us that same faith and deep trust in our God.