Friday, October 1, 2010

Saint in the making ...

Last weekend I had the opportunity and privilege of attending the baptism of my friend's little boy. The baptism took place during the 4:30 p.m. Mass at St. Monica-St. George parish in Ohio.  Pax Gabriel was wearing a baptismal garment that has been in his family for five generations.  It was amazing to think that Pax Gabriel's Great-Great Grandfather had been baptized in this same white garment.  What a powerful example of passing on the faith. Although Pax was fairly upset before the actual baptism began, he seemed to get very interested as he was being held over the baptismal font.  As Fr. Tom was pouring the water over his head, Pax tried to grab the water and pour it over himself.  It seemed as if he was very eager to be baptized.  It made me smile.   What a wonderful gift Pax was receiving and participating in.  Through his baptism Pax is called to live a life of holiness.  This is his vocation and it is our vocation. Each day we have the opportunity to grow in becoming a saint.  This is our calling.  I wonder how many times I miss the opportunities that God gives me to grow. I'm going to pay more attention and wake up to all the opportunities to grow, to be the saint I'm called to be.