Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Goose and God's Love

Each year a goose and gander come to our monastery for their yearly visit.  We have affectionately named them Gladys and Cyril.  Each year Gladys lays her eggs in a flower box close to the front door of our monastery.  Initially they would hiss at us as we passed by.  It seems that for now there is a truce between us because as we pass by they look at us intensely but don't seem as aggressive anymore.


I never thought that a goose had much to teach me but then I met Gladys.  She has taught me so much about God's love.  You see Gladys shows a motherly love.  She sits on her eggs   She covers them with down from her own body so they they have a warm place to grow.  She never ventures far from her little  ones and when she does, Cyril is close by watching to see if any danger is present.  A couple of weeks ago we had a storm with heavy rain, wind and thunder.  I thought for sure that Gladys would have run for cover.  And yet, when I looked out the window, there she was sitting with her little  ones.  Her head was tucked down against the wind but she stayed there keeping her eggs warm.  By providing this warm and safe place her little ones will keep growing until in a week or two they will be ready to hatch.  And, when they hatch, she will teach them to walk and then fly so that they can make it to water and begin the journey to maturity.


God has nurtured and loved me in this way as well.  God never leaves me even in the midst of the storms of my life.  God is always close loving me with a motherly love.  Even when I struggle and feel alone, God is always close by calling me home to the warmth of love.  I am so thankful for this God who provides me with all I need to grow into the person I am called to be.  May I learn to share this same love with others.  Always being there for them so that they might grow into who they are called to be.


When the goslings hatch in a couple of weeks, I hope to be able to get some pictures to share with you.  It will be a big event for us because we've grown rather fond of Gladys and Cyril.  And, of course, the gift of life is ALWAYS something to be excited about!